Make sure you know how much area you really need. If you have works vehicles that need to use the coned-off area then make sure they are included in the length of road you need.

You should also note that a regulation ‘safety zone’ will be required at the start and end of the coned zone. This is set in ‘The Red Book’ and is determined primarily by the speed of the road. Don’t worry too much about this as your traffic management company will add this when undertaking your permit.

It is also important to note that the maximum area you will be able to use is around 250m which is for multiple safety reasons but also due to traffic lights having a limited wireless range.

Before hiring traffic management equipment, we would recommend reading the ‘The Red Book’ which governs the standards of street work traffic management.

Click here for the web version of the latest edition.